CIT offers a Virtual Server service in the Windows environment using VMware software.
What is server virtualization?
Server virtualization allows multiple operating system instances to pull resources from a pool of physical servers, providing access to the memory and processors of that pool of servers. Each operating system runs in isolation, side-by-side on the same physical machine. VMWare software acts as the bridge between the virtual server’s operating system and the hardware, so that customers receive a service similar to a dedicated physical server, even though multiple “virtual systems” are running on the same server.
Virtualization maximizes the efficient use of pooled resources, resulting in a lower cost solution over standard dedicated physical servers. Along with the cost savings, opting for virtualization brings you additional operational benefits, such as:
- Faster and More Flexible Provisioning: Virtualization expedites most steps of the server provisioning process. The flexibility makes implementing additional servers in the server pool easier. Existing Windows hosting customers can use our 24/7 self-service tools website for fast and flexible provisioning of their virtual servers. Customers can also increase or decrease their virtual server's resouces through the self-service tools website.
- Decreased Downtime: Virtualization allows servers to remain accessible during host server maintenance or failure.
- Higher Capacity Utilization: Virtualization provides customers the ability to easily increase capacity. Shared CPU and memory resources can be increased or decreased among virtual machines to allow for peak or sudden workloads.
Just as we do for your physical servers, we provide a high quality production environment for you under our Virtual Server service:
- Secure and Robust Systems: Virtualization maximizes uptime of business critical systems and offers effective business continuity.
- CIT’s standard Windows hosting service: Customers using virtualization receive the same premium service that CIT offers its customers with physical servers.
Windows virtualization standard server offering
Our standard offering includes:
- OS Windows 2008R2 64-bit or 32-bit, with 90 GB of storage (40 GB C: and a 50 GB D:) (RAM and CPU amounts specified by the customer)
In addition to the basic offering under CIT’s standard hosting service for physical servers, CIT can customize the virtual server to meet your requirements. Because virtual servers run on a pool of host servers, the customer has access to more memory on request, up to 4 GB with Windows 2003 and up to 8 GB as a standard offering with Windows 2008. Customers can also add up to 1 TB more storage.
The CIT hosting staff provides the same operating system support, patching, security, backup and monitoring as it does for the dedicated hardware solution. CIT provides support for virtual servers that must reside behind application firewalls or load balancers as a separate offering.
If you are interested in the Virtual Server service, please contact the NIH IT Service Desk by phone at 301-496-HELP (301-496-4357), 866-319-4357 (toll free), or 301-496-8294 (TTY).
Existing Windows hosting customers can begin using our 24/7 self-service tools via the Web.