Installing and Configuring Mac OS X Virex
Note: Please print this page before starting the installation.
- Download the software from http://antivirus.nih.gov/software/downloads.asp - click on the VirusScan/Virex link under Client Downloads & then on the next page, click on the Virex for OS X link.
- Double-click on the downloaded file to open it. This will create a "disk image" on your Desktop.
- Double-click on the disk image icon to open it.
- Double-click on the Virex Installer to open it.
- In the Introduction window, click on Continue button.
- In the Read Me window, click on Continue button.
- In the License window, click on Continue button. When prompted to agree to the license terms, click on the Agree button.
- In the Select Destination window, click on the icon of your hard drive - a green down arrow will be shown over your hard drive inside a circle - and then click on the Continue button.
- In the Installation Type window, click on the Install button.
- When prompted, enter your password & click on the OK button - you must have administrative privileges in order to do this.
- Virex will now be installed. A progress indicator will be displayed in the Installling window.
- After the installation is finished, click on the Close button
- Restart the computer by selecting Restart from the Apple menu & click on the Restart button.
- After restarting, open the Virex folder that was created on your hard drive.
- Double click on Virex.
- Click on the Preferences button in the Virex toolbar or select Preferences from the Virex menu.
- From the Preferences dialog box, check mark the following options:
- Automatically delete infected files
- Perform an advanced scan of applications and macros for previously unknown viruses
- Customize my eUpdate server settings
- Click on the Server Settings button - which will now be available.
- From the Type menu, select FTP. Enter antivirus.nih.gov in the Server URL field and enter /virex/ in the Directory field. Click on the OK button to close the eUpdate preferences & then click on the OK button to close the preferences window.
- From the Scan menu, select "All Local Volumes"
- Check mark the option "Clean any files infected with a virus" that is just above the Results field.
- Run eUpdate by selecting it from the toolbar.
- After running eUpdate, make sure the definition files are for the current month by looking at the date that appears on the lower left side of the Virex window.
NOTE: The Virex vendor publishes updates to the definitions as they become available. If there are no updates to the definitions to be made, the vendor will not update the definition file. In this case, the date shown may not be within the current month.
- Run a Scan & Clean of the computer by clicking on the Scan & Clean button
- Quit Virex.
After quitting Virex, you may now delete the Virex .dmg file from your Desktop (or from your download directory).